Yeh Shaher Kiska Hai?

I know it’s politically incorrect, but I really do not relate to our old national Heroes anymore. Gandhi, Nehru, Tilak …I’m sure they were all fine men and Heroes in their own right, but they are too old for me. Look; I understand that they may still be relevant and what they have left behind is of great value to us…but that’s not what helps me live everyday now. Let me explain. You see, if this was the 1940s and India was fighting for independence (or something) , I’m sure a lot of us would get inspired by these people, but not when my mobile ring tone changes every hour to suit my mood. I need Heroes and role models that inspire me now, in 2010, to become better, do more, seek higher…exactly what a role model should do. That too in everyday life.

Let’s look at the remaining possibilities (in terms of available role models) that may inspire the current lot, in which I include everyone from age 3 till the age when one still gets inspired (choose).

1. Sports stars. Very few.

2. Film stars. Well, a handful and their market ‘role model’ value oscillates with the box office collection of their last films.

3. Politicians and bureaucrats. The less said the better.

4. Businessmen. Here we suddenly have a breather. Narayan Murthy, Rattan Tata, Asim Premji… and the newer lot of entrepreneurs that have upheld India’s pride.

5. Some not so famous but brilliant social workers.

All in all, as a nation of more than a billion people…very few role models.

This then; is a real tragedy for India.

Unless, we start to look around closely and define leadership and role modeling in a slightly different way. Lets for the moment call this ‘quite leadership’.

When I say ‘quite leadership’, I don’t necessarily mean lower decibel levels or volume. In fact, in some cases quite the contrary.

Quite leaders are everywhere. In fact in every home and school. Ask any kid, who they want to be, and who’s the best person in the world and the reply will always be “My Dad” or “My class teacher” or “Principal”.

The problem with role models is that they get ‘modeled’. People do what they see their role models doing. So if ‘My Dad’ drives on the wrong side of the road, so will I. If ‘My Teacher’ spits, shouts, corrupts, steals, hits, blows…well he is still my role model.

Confucius, the great Chinese philosopher and thinker said …“The ancients, who wished to illustrate illustrious virtue throughout the kingdom, first ordered well their own states. Wishing to order well their states, they first regulated their families. Wishing to regulate their families, they first cultivated their persons.”

Look at Dr. Pandey and his ‘people for a green doon’. Try to illegally cut any tree in Dehradun and he would get there with his group…anytime of the day and night. He is ‘loud’ but ‘quite’. Or Yudhistir Puran Singh…all of 23 years, the bloke has started DehraDun talking about environmental concerns within just the last 7 months. Or Mr. Sheel Vohra, who passed away just a few days ago and will always, be remembered by students in DehraDun, especially the Doon School.

I’m not sure if any of us can do too much about the state of the country, but if the math runs right, we’d be happier if we start with our home, mohalla, town…

To all the ‘quite’ heroes of Dehradun… ‘Guys, Thank You’. This town owes a lot to you, even if we do not know where you are.

P.S. Incidentally the top 10 musicians in DehraDun have been working on a song called “DehraDun DehraDun” (kind of like our local town Anthem) and intend to make it into a film called “Yeh Shehar Kiska Hai”. If you’d like a free copy of the ‘DehraDun Song’ and the film, please feel free to write to ilovedoon@jingles.co.in with your address and phone. We’ll be happy to include you in our ‘role model’ list.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Small towns ,breathe easy.

The Making of Audio Wagon (Aug 2008- August 13, 2009)

Saala Bh@#$%^&*