Wanted, Mr. Tantra , Alive!


I had a lovely Holi. This one in DehraDun after almost 20 years, and trust me, there is no place like home. In this case I mean Doon, the town that I call home, not just the rented place I currently live in.
The problem with the concept of ‘home’ is that one tends to own it, personalize it and get emotional about minor things. That then is my current situation with this town. I have a sense of ownership, get very personal and emotional about Doon, and hence this week’s story.

First a little flashback. Circa 1989, the chemistry class at St. Joseph’s was taught by a Mr. Tantra. Boys of all sizes, irrespective of muscle mass and father’s occupation, were in awe of this blue eyed Parsi gentleman of medium built. This was the time when hitting boys was a form of exercise for ‘masters’. Mr. Tantra however used his eyes to get the same affect.

This was also the time I started smoking. The little chai shop facing the school was Anuj’s discovery and our smoking hide out. Come 1:30 PM and a few of us will buy a cigarette each and blow rings in the air. Only Mr. Tantra; without our knowledge, was a tea lover and this was his favorite joint too.

On the fateful day of 2nd March 1989, we finished with a board exam and hit our joint. The first smoke ring had barely touched the roof when Mr. Tantra ordered his tea, and saw the three of us with the instruments of manhood (cigarettes, I mean) in our hands. He sat next to us, while we froze and dropped the smokes. He said nothing. Well at least for the first minute or so. The words that followed went through us like knives …”Can you please take your blazers and ties off please. I don’t want people to know you come from St. Joseph’s”. He then left; his half empty glass of tea still on the table.

I recently stopped a young boy driving on the wrong side of the road and by the power of my prematurely grey hair assumed that a lesson in civic behavior is warranted. “Can you please take your bike the other way” I said, “this is DehraDun, and lets keep it nice”. The boy very politely said “Why don’t you mind your business” and rode off ,still on the wrong side.

My eyes clearly are neither blue nor effective, but if you know where Mr. Tantra is, can you please tell him that a town; and not just a school, needs him back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Making of Audio Wagon (Aug 2008- August 13, 2009)

Small towns ,breathe easy.

Saala Bh@#$%^&*