Heer-Ranjha, Romeo-Juliet, Laila-Majnu and then, Padmini-Bahadur.

Long after the story fades from public memory, long after the characters are gone, long after new films and TV serials are made on lovers… love survives. You see, love stories and especially real ones, never really die. They just appeal to different people in different stages of evolution. This one is a not so well known, but absolutely true. I saw it with my own eyes. The bloom and the end. And this one appeals to me and will always do.

Padmini and Bahadur met by chance… or was it destined? I would prefer to believe the latter. Bahadur was the only guy in town that knew what Padmini really needed. Padmini too, just seemed to suddenly glow after Bahadur’s first touch, and therein hangs the tale. The tale of love , of caring, of knowing the needs of your loved ones, of selflessness and of the pain one goes through to see a loved one go.

This ladies and gentlemen is the story of our family car (the Premier Padmini, or just Padmini) and Bahadur, its loved mechanic and the guy who not only fell in love with her, but stood by her through sickness and health.

The story came back to me recently; after driving a Padmini a friend owes and loves. The ride till Rajpur brought back many years of memories. Of trips to Mussoorie and of a time when people in DehraDun had heard of; but not seen an AC. This is when I decided to check, where Bahadur is.

Finding his garage wasn’t difficult. The gate, the smell of oil around the area, the sound of men working on machines… nothing had changed. I didn’t think he will recognize me, and he didn’t, but not for long. I reminded him of our family in DehraDun , of Padmini, of the frantic call we made to him one night when Padmini wouldn’t start without him and we had to travel next morning. He immediately gave me a hug and commented on how grey my hair has become and how I should consider coloring them.

After the tea and Parle-G, I didn’t know if I should really ask about Padmini. After all we had no right to. We had simply left Padmini behind with him after my father got posted out of DehraDun and we moved on to other ‘Marutis’ available off the shelf.

Bahadur I guess was just waiting for me to mention. As soon as I said “Padm…”, Bahadur literally pulled me by the hand and took me to the corner. There under a clean trampoline, was the wonder my eyes had been looking for. The Padmini. Bahadur’s Padmini. Cared for the last 20 years, in a way only love can. “This is going to the grave with me” said Bahadur , gleaming with pride. I knew he was telling the truth. I also immediate added ‘Padmini-Bahadur’ to the list of great lovers of our age. End of the tale.

P.S. If any of the readers have a Padmini that they would like to see loved and cared for again, please do write to me. I can’t ask Bahadur for his. He is a true lover and I’m happy to find my own.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Making of Audio Wagon (Aug 2008- August 13, 2009)

Small towns ,breathe easy.

Saala Bh@#$%^&*